Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Sweet Pickled Celery– A Recipe from Gordon Ramsay
Chicken is one of the most loved food items around the globe and it is certainly eaten a lot by many people. It can be prepared in many ways and there are many recipes related to chicken, therefore, one cannot get bored eating it.
Gordon Ramsay is an award-winning chef that has many recipes with such delicious taste that wins everyone’s heart. He has been introducing some special recipes related to chicken and here comes one of the most awaited ones. The recipe that we are going to discuss today is “Gordon’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken” this recipe is just amazing and out of the world which is a very good combination of crispy, crunchy, succulent chicken along with tangy tenderization of buttermilk which is served with sweet pickled celery.
Undoubtedly this one is the perfect recipe in the list of recipes introduced by Gordon. This recipe will make your friends and family happy if you prepare it for a treat. It is also one of the simplest ones which are super easy to be made. Today we are going to learn how to make this recipe that is “Gordon’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken” and we will look at it step-by-step to help you understand it quickly. I am sure once you eat this one it will become one of your favorite chicken recipes.
Gordon’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken
If you are someone who tries many different types of food items and you are a chicken lover then probably you should try this one out.it will just amaze you.
- 4 chicken thighs (any size)
- 4 chicken drumsticks (any size)
- Buttermilk 500 ml
- Sunflower or groundnut oil (for deep frying)
- 300 grams plain flour
- Smoked paprika 1 or 2 tablespoon
- Garlic powder (½ tablespoon)
- Cayenne powder (½ tablespoon)
- Black pepper (freshly ground)
- Sea salt
- The first thing is going to be marination as for this dish marination is the most important thing you can certainly say it is the heart of this dish. For marinating you need to place the chicken in a bowl, now add buttermilk so that the chicken gets completely coated.
- Once you are done doing this you need to sprinkle the perfect amount of salt as per your requirements. Now place this in the refrigerator and let it get refrigerated overnight. Make sure that you cover the bowl using cling film. The buttermilk will help in giving the soft tangy tenderness to the chicken and this is very important.
- Now take the marinated chicken out from the refrigerator once you are sure that you are ready to cook. After this let the chicken settle to room temperature and after that, it’s time for the coating process.
- For coating, you need to take a bowl and put the flour spread around and across the container. For the seasoning, you can add smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and the amount of salt needed along with some pepper and garlic powder. Get the coating ready by using your fingers and run it into the mix. This will add texture to the chicken.
- Now take the pieces of chicken one by one from the bowl and shake off the extra buttermilk and then place it in the mixture for coating. You can also try rolling the chicken with your hands so that they get coated properly. Repeat it by tipping chicken back into the buttermilk and cover again with a seasoned meal if you want your chicken to be more delicious. It might look a little plucky, but when it reaches the gasoline, it will blister perfectly to deliver a flawless look.
- Now it’s frying time so make sure that the oil is ready and it is hot around 325 degrees F. Be careful while dropping the chicken pieces in the oil and do it one by one by keeping a gap of at least 5 secs between each of them. This will make sure that they do not get stuck with each other and the reading sets in the oil.
- The temperature might drop while the chicken is frying as the chicken is cold but it will come back once the chicken gets settled down.
- You can try turning the pan slowly and gently a little bit as it will provide movements to the chicken pieces. This will ensure that they do not get stuck at the bottom of the pan or to each other. You need to fry the chicken species for at least 30 minutes until they start turning golden. And flip them to evenly fry.
- Time to take out the chicken from the pan and for this you need to drain the excess oil by laying them on paper or kitchen paper.
- You can try cooking it in the oven if you want it to get even crispier. You can sprinkle it with some salt and put it in the oven for 6-7 minutes.
Your recipe is ready and you can enjoy it with your friends and family but there is something more you can do. It is mentioned below.
Sweet Pickled Celery
Preparing sweet pickled celery is necessary with the above-mentioned dish as it can add some amazing taste to it. So let’s see how the recipe goes for Sweet Pickled Celery.
- 1 bunch of Celery
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 6 tablespoons of White Wine Vinegar
- Take the bunch of celery and peel away each stalk. After doing this first thing is washing them and then cutting them into long diagonal shapes as this will make them look beautiful and attractive. Place them into a jar.
- For preparing the syrup you need to take 1 part water and sugar and in this, you need to add some peppercorn, a considerate amount of mustard seeds, some cloves along with little salt and white wine vinegar.
- The syrup needs to be boiled if you want it to get pickled. It will infuse the spices it has and brings them together while you boil it. It also helps in cooking celery.
- After you are done boiling you should turn the gas off and pour the syrup into a jar and let it come to a moderate temperature. Keep the lid open as it will help the syrup to get cool down. And the celery to get pickled.
The perfect combination dish is ready and now you can finally serve it.
Some Pro Tips
You can try out these expert tips that will help you in making this dish amazing.
- It is important to marinate the chicken properly so that it absorbs the buttermilk and becomes tasty.
- You can also try providing a double coating of buttermilk along with seasoned flour over the chicken as this will give it an additional crisp layer.
- The chicken should be fried for at least 25-30 minutes until it becomes golden.
- You can also try cooking it in an oven after deep frying and sprinkle some salt before doing this. You should place it in the ocean for 6-7 minutes. It will help it to grow more moist and juicy.
- Boil the fluid combination of sugar, peppercorns, mustard seeds, pulps, and white vinegar to make the celery cook and select perfectly.
- Wait for some time to serve this pickle until it becomes too good to refresh itself and unleash all the celery favors.
Here are some of the best Recipe books by Gordon Ramsay, click to check the price
Gordon Ramsay has provided us with many delicious recipes and he is an awarded chef and his recipes are just out of this world.
Today we discussed “Gordon’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken” recipe and saw the step by step way to prepare it. We also saw the sweet pickled celery recipe as this is a very good combination with the recipe. I hope you found the recipes interesting and you would be able to make them on your own. I guess I was clear enough and this article was relevant and informative.